Sponsoring Visitor Visa for parents when you are in the US on an H1B Visa

Blog by AdviseHub

Your Foreign National Relatives do not need a “sponsor” to visit the United States. Like every other visitor, they must first obtain a Tourist Visa (B-2), and are generally limited to a 90 day visit. Citizens of the 38 countries in the VISA WAIVER PROGRAM don’t need a Visa, and can travel to the United States. However, they must first receive authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).

If your family member does require a Visa, they will need to apply for one through a local US Consulate (travel.state.gov), pay the fees, and schedule an interview. Among the documents they will need to bring is proof that they intend to return to their homes. While the list differs at each consulate, generally the applicant will need to bring proof of employment, bank accounts, home ownership or rental, and other items that suggest they have strong ties to their home country and are not trying to immigrate to the United States.
If your family member has difficulty filling out the Visa Application form, you may assist them without leaving the US, but you must send them copies of all documents and forms to bring with them to the Consulate.

In all cases, the visitor’s passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond the date of entry in the United States.

Do not assume that once your family member is in the United States they will be able to stay. Visitors who overstay their visa may be permanently barred from the United States. Consult a qualified Immigration lawyer for help if they cannot leave the US before their Visa expires.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *